~ Knowledge is embodied in people gathered in communities and networks. The road to knowledge is via people, conversations, connections and relationships. Knowledge surfaces through dialog, all knowledge is socially mediated and access to knowledge is by connecting to people that know or know who to contact. ~ by someone I don't know (just being honest)

While exploring different tools in Adobe Omniture Suite, I am finding a new piece of information everyday which I'd like to share with you all. Hope you all find these informative and don't hestitate to pass your invaluable feedback. Enjoy!!!!

Sunday 31 October 2010

How to get trended data for a Fallout report? | Discover

Hi again all!!! So where had I been for so long?? No, I didn't go for an oil search expedition in Siberia :). Well, there were more than a couple of good news and I was busy celebrating those but I am back now and will keep my audience busy!!!


So today's question now. I faced an interesting challenge last week when I needed to get daily data for my favourite fallout report for last 6 months. Earlier, I used to get data for every day and put it manually in Excel however this time time-period was too long to do this exercise manually. So is there an easy way to get a trended view of a fallout report in Discover.

My quest led me to one very less frequently used feature of Discover 'Copy report data'. Normally, we tend to schedule reports so this was something I had never used but believe me this is a very handy feature and I am more than ever before.


All you need to do is, select the time-period (in my case I selected last 6 months) and run the fallout report. Once all data is there, click on 'Copy report data' button in the toolbar. This copies data in clipboard which you can copy to an Excel sheet.

When you copy the data in an Excel sheet, you'll see data has 3 parts:




First part of the copied Discover report will show data of Fallout report for all period you selected. In other words, it converts Discover fallout report into a tabular for. That's it.


Second part of the copied data shows for each checkpoint (or page) of the fallout report, where customers went to and lost (Fall-out) and where customers went but still were part of the funnel (Fall-through). Confusing? A little I know...
Imagine we have a fallout report for a checkout journey. This journey start with Your Cart page and end on Order Confirmed page. Now there will be other pages between these 2 pages like Personal Details, Payment details etc. but these are not part of our fallout report.
Now, if a customers goes to Personal details page from Your Cart page but doesn't complete order, this will be a Fall-out against Personal details page.
However, if a customer jumps back to your Homepage from Your cart page, does some more research and completes order, this will a Fall-through for Homepage.


Now third part of data is what we were looking for! It breaks up data by day, visits against each checkpoint and corresponding conversion rates. Time-saving, isn't it??

Hope you find this article informative and as always, please let me know your feedback. Good night :)

2 comments:

  1. awesome... I want to be web analyst please tell me from where i start......? i know about google analytic. I want to learn omniture please send me some initial reference and study material for omniture start. mail me at: john.gta@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete